About autisticaplanet

My photo
Welcome to a blog about an autistic adult woman in her late 30's using words and images to advocate acceptance as well as awareness of those with life-limiting sensory processing issues and resulting social and behavioral challenges. I write about inclusion ideas for those who remain in isolation due to their neuromakeup and share how my Christian faith keeps me going. Thank you for visiting.

Monday, May 8, 2017

Asher Part 6: It's OK to be friends with Asher

Asher, a brown boy wearing red headphones with the caption, "Asher wants to be your friend."



Asher with his new friends, a white girl with red hair on the right and a black boy wearing a green sweater on the left.



I've heard that parents of non-autistic kids can be weary when it comes to their kid wanting to play with an autistic kid. While I can understand concern, I think talking those concerns over with the kid's parents-and the parents not getting offended would help allay worry. Supervising smaller kids, eh, like Asher, during playdates would be a good idea if parents of both parties are concerned about safety.
I was never allowed to be over at anyone's house if no adult was present. The few short lived friends I had were never over at my house without an adult present.
I hope Asher will make life-long friends, kids that will have his back no matter what. I know he will do his best for them.