Skip to main content

Autistic lives matter, too!

I wonder aloud if all my the writing, typing and posting, does a damn bit of good to better lives affected by autism. Drawing others near to Christ and trying to improve (in my own small way) lives for those on the spectrum is the only reason I bother with blogging. In the wake of police shooting unarmed African-Americans and white police officers being killed by African-American men  I have something to say: Black lives matter, police lives matter. Autistic lives matter, too!
There isn’t enough money for funding to train police officers in de-escalation techniques (see link). About de-escalation:http://www.policemag.com/channel/careers-training/articles/2016/03/de-escalation-training-learning-to-back-off.aspx
We, or those who love us shouldn’t have to be harmed or even killed due to a misunderstanding. Especially when we aren’t holding a weapon.
I’m sure there are people who will say that any method of training doesn’t work 100% and I’d say they are right, but to do nothing is worse.
Here is a link to a You Tube video (under 10 minutes) that demonstrates a psychiatrist using de-escalation with an agitated patient:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B9Kqg6jFeI
Here is another descalation video for police officers involving a police officer called to an unstable man’s home:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JERkZoWGLWQ
Don’t diagnose, listen.
Most times, an agitated person needs to be listened to. With autistic people such as myself, it takes longer to articulate my thoughts into speech and answer questions. In addition to crippling anxiety, my sensory processing is also poor. When I am near a meltdown (almost always due to sensory overload)  my ability to reason and gauge disappear.
This is why screaming and barking questions at an autistic person (or any person, really) is a bad idea, but especially toward an autistic person whose brain and entire body are on fire. Without premeditation, verbal assault can lead the autistic person to lash out in order to make the loud noises coming from a screaming first responder stop.They never intended to cause harm, it was an unpremeditated act of self protection.
I have found out a big way to avoid meltdowns is just to stay home as much as possible and leave the public at the slightest inkling of stress. It isn’t worth having to face another bad first responder situation, especially now that my parents are gone and can’t protect me.
Except for forest preserves, I pretty much stay at home save for Medical appointments and the occasional trip to Michael’s for beads or Kohl’s for candles and occasionally, clothing. I NEVER go to public places on weekends or past 5pm.
I always have a help-person such as a compassionate family member or case-worker with me when I do leave home.
I do what I need to do to survive in a humane state.
Please share this if you find it to help someone you know. 
I pray this has enlightened you. May God bless you in Jesus' name, Amen.

Popular posts from this blog

My autistic brain

Profile of a face with a rainbow colored brain. Personal autism attributes in various colors font. Since I am a visually oriented thinker, pictures come before words. Words flow easier if I can create an image or images first. Here is one case in point. I am very grateful for PixTeller.com for providing the royalty free images and designing capability.

Questioning the current autism spectrum model

Color wheel. Concept: autism spectrum redefined. Can an autistic person be both high and low functioning? Is this even the right question to ask? I've heard the term "high-functioning" and "low-functioning" used for autism for nearly two decades, when I was first diagnosed. I am not offended by the terms, but  confused  by them. What is in question? IQ? EQ? verbal and social skills? How about coping with co-morbids and sensory processing disorder? The autism spectrum is often seen as linear, with "low functioning" being at one end and "high functioning" being at the other. This is one dimensional and I think, misleading. My IQ has been tested in adulthood twice. Each time, I scored 110, considered a B+ grade. Intellectually, I could say I'm high-functioning. I can speak, though I sometimes have to stop and think about what I have to say or wind up repeating words while I try and think about what ones I want to use. I do well with wr

I wasn’t meant to be a primary caregiver

As I have mentioned in posts over the last 2 years, my mom passed away 2.5 years ago. Caring for her in her final months was difficult, but doing it as an autistic person 5 days in a row the first couple weeks was impossible. She was in the end stages of pulmonary fibrosis. She weighed 70 pounds and was gradually withdrawing from eating and drinking. She had reached the point where she was scared to be alone. For. A. Single. Instant. I tried to tell my family that this much intensive care for 5 days straight was too much. I couldn't process it. There was no fresh supply of spoons and I was on auxiliary power. I have recently become acquainted with the Spoon Theory. Here is Wikipedia's definition: of the s poon theory: "The   spoon theory   is a disability metaphor used to explain the   reduced amount of energy   available for activities of daily living and productive tasks that may result from disability or chronic illness." Maybe they thought because