Skip to main content

Dumbstruck

Before I received an autism diagnosis, certain members of my NT family were fine with making fun of me and calling me names.
When I was 19, I was diagnosed with autism. Finally, there was an answer to why I covered my ears during loud noises and rocked almost constantly as well as my lack of eye-contact and slightly strange gait.
People treated me differently post diagnosis. I hadn't changed since the diagnosis. I couldn't figure out why I was being shut out. Even people who were neutral toward me who would say "hello" did not. Some people didn't speak to me at all when I made the effort; and minimal socialization is an effort for me.
This still happens.
It happened at my mom's funeral two and a half years ago when I had to see my NT family members.
It happened the other day when the NT neighbor came by to speak to my sister with me in the car.
I am there, but not there.
This might be an autistic point of view, but these people are very rude and their silence speaks clearly  about how they feel in the presence of a disabled person.
Uncomfortable.
I can promise you that doing life in a NT world on a daily basis is nothing short of uncomfortable for me, either. In ways you can not possibly imagine.
I will spare you the details and say this:
Don't give autistic, mentally ill or otherwise people you know are disabled the "deaf and dumb" treatment.
God's view is to treat others the way you would like to be treated. We reap what we sow.
God's view also says that if you judge others, you will be judged by God (Romans 2:1, Matthew 7:1).
God's view also says that we all must forgive (Matthew 6:14).
That goes for me and for you. Whether or not you believe the Bible doesn't change its absolute truths. Even atheists show manners. God has given them to all of us.
Kindness is simple and free. Smile, even if I don't make eye contact I will probably see it out of the corner of my eye.
Wave. I'm not completely blind to body language.
Say "hi". I can promise you that I'm not interested in much dialogue.
Even if someone who you know is disabled and non-verbal, say hello. Let them know you see them as a person, though their worth isn't dependent on your action or lack for thereof.

Unless you happen to be autistic and struggle in this area or are a heartless arse, you can make the effort.

Popular posts from this blog

modern day compliments from ian

A heavenly perspective

Reaching toward heaven I was trying to get a different perspective taking nature shots. I had looked up to see this mass of white clouds hovering above bare tree branches. The branches looked like arms and fingers reaching up toward heaven. The clouds reminded me of something like  Exodus 13:21    where God's presence was with the Israelite s, guiding them. God takes care of all those who put their trust in His Son, Jesus. I have trusted Him in seeing me through my mom's death, an arrest, transitioning from one treatment facility to another and more recently, some neighbors treating Saturday nights as their own personal 4th of July. I still feel pain. I am tempted to doubt and catch myself self loathing. I keep praying .  I know nothing lasts forever. I look forward to eternity with God and my Christian loved ones who are there already. I hope you will come to know Jesus and accept Him as both your Lord as well as your Savior. Amen! ...

Lonely vs. being alone

I call this "Dancing with herselves" Being lonely is different from being alone. Being alone, for me, is when I have had enough sensory input from a person and/or environment. It is a choice. Being lonely is something I have little choice over. Due to the severe limitations of my autism spectrum disorder, I don’t have the simple luxury of calling up a friend to see if they are free for coffee or a walk in the park.  My only friend lives 45 minutes away and due to age, can’t drive long distances on a constant basis. I cannot drive. What support and socialization that does exist is for disabled people who can go anywhere and be exposed to everything as long as it is ADA compliant. I am alone in my home without human contact 6 days a week for 90% of my day. My sister does her best, but she, like my aunt, has a life that includes shared experiences with other people. Mine doesn’t. Nobody else in my family or community is interested in relating to me. I notice ...