Skip to main content

Lonely vs. being alone


I call this "Dancing with herselves"


Being lonely is different from being alone. Being alone, for me, is when I have had enough sensory input from a person and/or environment. It is a choice. Being lonely is something I have little choice over. Due to the severe limitations of my autism spectrum disorder, I don’t have the simple luxury of calling up a friend to see if they are free for coffee or a walk in the park.
 My only friend lives 45 minutes away and due to age, can’t drive long distances on a constant basis. I cannot drive. What support and socialization that does exist is for disabled people who can go anywhere and be exposed to everything as long as it is ADA compliant.
I am alone in my home without human contact 6 days a week for 90% of my day. My sister does her best, but she, like my aunt, has a life that includes shared experiences with other people. Mine doesn’t. Nobody else in my family or community is interested in relating to me.
I notice that when I have a little more (not a ton) of stimulation going on with kindly people who don’t see me solely as a burden, I feel more relaxed and less depressed. I naturally want to participate in life more. When I don’t get this interaction (and there are times that it is inevitable), I fall behind.
Depression descends. I am irritable. Exercise and most anything else is a chore. I curl up in a ball and sleep a lot.
I can try to distract myself for a while, but like the dancing hula girl in the photo, the reflection in the window tells the real story; one of a person fading into lifelessness, mere existence when left to her own devices for long.
The internet is of no use to me socially. Everyone is either out to play the hate game or to promote his or her lives, but not to make a personal connection.
I know autistic people stereo-typically aren’t viewed as wanting what I crave (in much smaller amounts than most NTs do), but I think that is mostly due to feelings of inadequacy, which I certainly have in spades. It doesn’t help that we have a culture that thrives on selfishness and speed.
 God actually designed us to relate with others (Genesis 2:18) whether platonic or romantic or both. Due to sensory issues, church is out of the question for me. I don’t get to discuss my faith very much unless my Christian friend wants to talk about it. What I can’t obtain from the Bible, I get from online Christian websites.
I find it (probably because of the autism) harder to relate to God, as He is Spirit. I so need to have someone in my physical presence, but God already came in the flesh. He made His creation to fellowship with one another. 
 I was originally denied case management services due to having the Asperger’s diagnosis (too high-functioning to need support), but due to my severe sensory issues and need to have a safe person out in the community with me, along with my generalized anxiety disorder and obsessive-compulsive disorder, I was approved. 
After 14 months of case-management services, my caseworker left for another agency.
I've decided to forego any more services for the time being. My soul is worn out and I need to focus more on my relationship with God and address some medical issues before I proceed further.

Popular posts from this blog

My autistic brain

Profile of a face with a rainbow colored brain. Personal autism attributes in various colors font. Since I am a visually oriented thinker, pictures come before words. Words flow easier if I can create an image or images first. Here is one case in point. I am very grateful for PixTeller.com for providing the royalty free images and designing capability.

Questioning the current autism spectrum model

Color wheel. Concept: autism spectrum redefined. Can an autistic person be both high and low functioning? Is this even the right question to ask? I've heard the term "high-functioning" and "low-functioning" used for autism for nearly two decades, when I was first diagnosed. I am not offended by the terms, but  confused  by them. What is in question? IQ? EQ? verbal and social skills? How about coping with co-morbids and sensory processing disorder? The autism spectrum is often seen as linear, with "low functioning" being at one end and "high functioning" being at the other. This is one dimensional and I think, misleading. My IQ has been tested in adulthood twice. Each time, I scored 110, considered a B+ grade. Intellectually, I could say I'm high-functioning. I can speak, though I sometimes have to stop and think about what I have to say or wind up repeating words while I try and think about what ones I want to use. I do well with wr

I wasn’t meant to be a primary caregiver

As I have mentioned in posts over the last 2 years, my mom passed away 2.5 years ago. Caring for her in her final months was difficult, but doing it as an autistic person 5 days in a row the first couple weeks was impossible. She was in the end stages of pulmonary fibrosis. She weighed 70 pounds and was gradually withdrawing from eating and drinking. She had reached the point where she was scared to be alone. For. A. Single. Instant. I tried to tell my family that this much intensive care for 5 days straight was too much. I couldn't process it. There was no fresh supply of spoons and I was on auxiliary power. I have recently become acquainted with the Spoon Theory. Here is Wikipedia's definition: of the s poon theory: "The   spoon theory   is a disability metaphor used to explain the   reduced amount of energy   available for activities of daily living and productive tasks that may result from disability or chronic illness." Maybe they thought because