Skip to main content
  Ear protection for a sound sensitive, autistic person


These babies broke the chain off of my being under almost complete house arrest back in 2010. 
I did research on different sound-blocking equipment in June that year. I started my search on Wikipedia.com. I learned that noise-canceling technology was actually making my situation worse. Noise-canceling technology is best used in situations where there is uninterrupted sound (engines). It acts as static to put sounds like jet engines, lawn-mowers and steady traffic in the background. I used Bose QC2 (now retired and replaced with the QC15 model) noise-canceling headphones for 3 years. I wondered why shrieking kids and barking dogs sounded louder. My audiologist, who specializes in tinnitus-retraining therapy (TRT), could not explain this to me, but someone nice at the Hyperacusis Network (www.hyperacusis.net) explained about noise-canceling technology not being right for my situation. The rest was up to me.
I found that passive sound-blocking was right for my situation. It was also my good fortune to find out that it was much cheaper.
 My camera fills with nature images. Being able to get through the 4th of July is crucial to my sanity. The days are shorter, and being a PM person, I know my nature and photography are limited until springtime.
I want to remind those of you also using ear protection, “rest” your ears by giving them exposure -at least to the environment(s) you can tolerate.
Visit the Earplug Superstore www.earplugstore.com
I've had terrific results with them.

I give God full credit for leading me to the earplug superstore 6 years ago. Finding the Pro Ears was literally a Godsend!






Popular posts from this blog

modern day compliments from ian

A heavenly perspective

Reaching toward heaven I was trying to get a different perspective taking nature shots. I had looked up to see this mass of white clouds hovering above bare tree branches. The branches looked like arms and fingers reaching up toward heaven. The clouds reminded me of something like  Exodus 13:21    where God's presence was with the Israelite s, guiding them. God takes care of all those who put their trust in His Son, Jesus. I have trusted Him in seeing me through my mom's death, an arrest, transitioning from one treatment facility to another and more recently, some neighbors treating Saturday nights as their own personal 4th of July. I still feel pain. I am tempted to doubt and catch myself self loathing. I keep praying .  I know nothing lasts forever. I look forward to eternity with God and my Christian loved ones who are there already. I hope you will come to know Jesus and accept Him as both your Lord as well as your Savior. Amen! ...

Please, STOP saying autism is only a way of thinking differently

Really? Too many places I visit online are bringing up a troublesome sentiment: That having autism is  only  a way of thinking differently.  I notice that a majority of those expressing the sentiment are fully independent people with Asperger's Syndrome, now grouped under "autism spectrum disorder" in the DSM 5.  I don't like it when Autism Speaks claims to speak for me, and I don't appreciate some in the Neurodiversity movement doing so, either. If you experience very mild communication and sensory issues, that's great, but do remember that that is  your  experience, not the entire experience of those with autism. I would hate to see supportive services lost due to a public awareness campaign that says having ASD isn't a disability. Having ASD alone didn't get me services. Generalized anxiety disorder (GAD), obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) and premenstrual dysphoria (PMDD) did. I had to describe ho...