Skip to main content

Yes, it IS a disability!

Yes, it IS a disability!

I honestly have to wonder if political correctness will be the death of us. Especially those of us with autism spectrum disorder if it is ever defined solely as a way of thinking differently, thus possibly nullifying services needed to survive. Autism is the only neurodevelopmental disorder that is constantly in conflict with causes, treatment options and self-identification.
If you are totally self-sufficient, possibly married with (or without) kids, able to pay a mortgage or rent, manage a 401K along with feeding and dressing yourself, chances are you won't view your autism as a disability, but rather as ONLY a way of "thinking differently" or "processing at a different speed".
Here is the problem I see if this one-sided perception becomes accepted as the norm: insurance companies won't have to cover treatment. It is hard enough to get insurance companies to accept autism as a valid medical diagnosis. I have to claim my co-morbids as a way to get services. Why? Autism isn't seen as a valid claim for receiving state-funded services. Yet chronic anxiety and impulse control issues are tied into my autism.
If you don't see yourself as disabled but have been diagnosed with autism, fine. That's your experience. But remember the other side of the story, that there are many with autism who cannot function without some form of supportive services, and not all can afford not to have state aid, even if family is involved in that person's care.
I know of someone whose adult grandchild is almost non-verbal and doesn't understand the concept of money. They will most likely live with their parents for the rest of the parents' natural lives.
Autism is not merely a way of thinking or processing differently. A difference in neuro-makeup is certainly part of autism. It is not the whole story, however. If you don't need supportive services, that is a blessing God gave to you. Please use it to remember those less fortunate (but NEVER less) and don't gloss over the disability part (whether it is disabling  to you or not). Life is hard enough for me and those who love me.
Declaring autism isn't a disability is discriminatory and hurtful. This view denies me my experiences and reality!

See my other post on this subject here: http://through1filter.blogspot.com/2016/11/please-stop-saying-autism-is-only-way.html


Popular posts from this blog

My autistic brain

Profile of a face with a rainbow colored brain. Personal autism attributes in various colors font. Since I am a visually oriented thinker, pictures come before words. Words flow easier if I can create an image or images first. Here is one case in point. I am very grateful for PixTeller.com for providing the royalty free images and designing capability.

Questioning the current autism spectrum model

Color wheel. Concept: autism spectrum redefined. Can an autistic person be both high and low functioning? Is this even the right question to ask? I've heard the term "high-functioning" and "low-functioning" used for autism for nearly two decades, when I was first diagnosed. I am not offended by the terms, but  confused  by them. What is in question? IQ? EQ? verbal and social skills? How about coping with co-morbids and sensory processing disorder? The autism spectrum is often seen as linear, with "low functioning" being at one end and "high functioning" being at the other. This is one dimensional and I think, misleading. My IQ has been tested in adulthood twice. Each time, I scored 110, considered a B+ grade. Intellectually, I could say I'm high-functioning. I can speak, though I sometimes have to stop and think about what I have to say or wind up repeating words while I try and think about what ones I want to use. I do well with wr

I wasn’t meant to be a primary caregiver

As I have mentioned in posts over the last 2 years, my mom passed away 2.5 years ago. Caring for her in her final months was difficult, but doing it as an autistic person 5 days in a row the first couple weeks was impossible. She was in the end stages of pulmonary fibrosis. She weighed 70 pounds and was gradually withdrawing from eating and drinking. She had reached the point where she was scared to be alone. For. A. Single. Instant. I tried to tell my family that this much intensive care for 5 days straight was too much. I couldn't process it. There was no fresh supply of spoons and I was on auxiliary power. I have recently become acquainted with the Spoon Theory. Here is Wikipedia's definition: of the s poon theory: "The   spoon theory   is a disability metaphor used to explain the   reduced amount of energy   available for activities of daily living and productive tasks that may result from disability or chronic illness." Maybe they thought because