Skip to main content

The Day the Classical Music Played

Purple and red were the colors I chose the day the classical music played through an old, slightly warped and scratchy sounding record player.
Peaks and valleys gave way to holes in the paper made by too much pressure from my hands. Us six-year-olds were asked to draw how we "saw" the music.
Sight wasn't the first sense that came to mind. It was my hearing. I used the crayons to illustrate the stabbing pain I felt physically in my ears that wound up in my shutting down, hands over my ears and face down on the desk, near tears.
I had a kind first grade teacher who had something many other teachers lacked: common sense. She genuinely cared for her students. Noting my condition, she asked to see my paper.
"Oh my!" she said, asking for the paper.
She later called my parents, not to complain, but to tell them that something was wrong and that she was concerned.
The matter wasn't discussed further. I wasn't blamed or shamed by my teacher or parents. If my classmates noticed me, they never said anything to me about it.
Classical music, Opera and heavy metal are sensory nightmares for me, even played at a low volume. Classical and Opera are very "uneven" and "pitchy". There are unexpected peaks and valleys that trigger my moro (startle) reflex. Rock music doesn't have that. It is even and level to my ears. Country, R&B and Smooth Jazz are also tolerable.
The only rock band I cannot listen to, due to their choice in sound effects, is Pink Floyd.
Classic jazz ala the Miles Davis variety is also excruciating. Peaks and valleys abound.
I also hate live albums. All that hand clapping and whistling is torture. There is one exception, and I think it is due to the fact that it was an outdoor concert: Peter Frampton's "Frampton Comes Alive". I don't own the entire album, but do have "Baby, I Love Your Way" and "Do You Feel Like I Do?" I even like the part where he puts his mouth in the tube. This is in stark contrast to hearing Pink Floyd's "The Wall", borrowed from my sister out of curiosity.
Sensory processing disorder is a very real and life limiting part of my autism. I choose to say "my autism", because each person will experience their autism differently.
My hyper sensitive hearing affects my relationships with others, as well as accessing the world.
My hyper sensitive hearing worsened when I turned 16. I want anyone associated with neurology to take note. It is interesting that 16 is around the time that Schizophrenia and Bi-Polar begin. I wonder if there is a link that comes along with a growing brain and hormones? If you wish to share your insight, please friend-request me on Facebook.
My hyper sensitive hearing will affect where I live, when and if  I can work, the ability to communicate and form relationships as well as develop greater autonomy.
Intelligence alone does not make an autistic person "high functioning". It doesn't mean they struggle less or are less deserving of services. It doesn't mean one should receive segregated services like "Behavioral Health" vs. "Developmentally Disabled", a method AID (social service provider, Medicaid based in my state) of which I am labeled the former.
I loathe the broad use of functioning labels. That is another topic which I have covered in another post.



Popular posts from this blog

modern day compliments from ian

A heavenly perspective

Reaching toward heaven I was trying to get a different perspective taking nature shots. I had looked up to see this mass of white clouds hovering above bare tree branches. The branches looked like arms and fingers reaching up toward heaven. The clouds reminded me of something like  Exodus 13:21    where God's presence was with the Israelite s, guiding them. God takes care of all those who put their trust in His Son, Jesus. I have trusted Him in seeing me through my mom's death, an arrest, transitioning from one treatment facility to another and more recently, some neighbors treating Saturday nights as their own personal 4th of July. I still feel pain. I am tempted to doubt and catch myself self loathing. I keep praying .  I know nothing lasts forever. I look forward to eternity with God and my Christian loved ones who are there already. I hope you will come to know Jesus and accept Him as both your Lord as well as your Savior. Amen! ...

Lonely vs. being alone

I call this "Dancing with herselves" Being lonely is different from being alone. Being alone, for me, is when I have had enough sensory input from a person and/or environment. It is a choice. Being lonely is something I have little choice over. Due to the severe limitations of my autism spectrum disorder, I don’t have the simple luxury of calling up a friend to see if they are free for coffee or a walk in the park.  My only friend lives 45 minutes away and due to age, can’t drive long distances on a constant basis. I cannot drive. What support and socialization that does exist is for disabled people who can go anywhere and be exposed to everything as long as it is ADA compliant. I am alone in my home without human contact 6 days a week for 90% of my day. My sister does her best, but she, like my aunt, has a life that includes shared experiences with other people. Mine doesn’t. Nobody else in my family or community is interested in relating to me. I notice ...