Skip to main content

I Was Born Autisitc (and most likely with OCD and anxiety, too)

Picture: Lundholm organ-Pixabay

At six months of fetal development, my mom noticed that I would violently kick in the womb when she played certain songs on the organ. My dad watched me leaping around in her stomach. 
It was a disturbing and confusing moment for both of them. They hadn't seen anything like this before.
Autism is a neurodevelopmental disorder whose traits show up often before 2 years of age.
I was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome for the first time in 1998. I was diagnosed with AS, mainly because I spoke early and scored 110 on my IQ test.
It is interesting to note that I didn't walk unassisted until 18 months old, was only interested in the shadows the low, incandescent chandiler lights made on the living room ceiling at 3 weeks of age instead of my parents or screamed, sometimes for up to a half an hour after the wind blew a door shut on the opposite end of the house.
I had intrusive, upsetting thoughts of harming myself or others going back to as early as five years of age. I recently learned this is part of OCD. I was not raised in an abusive home environment. I wasn't abused until I turned 11 and entered junior high.
I clenched my fists and tightened my muscles, rocked and cried each time my fingernails were cut. 
My parents didn't have a support group back in the 1980's. They had each other. They were my earliest advocates, my only ones, really.
Though I am verbal and my IQ is average, I still have high support needs. I need someone to drive me, pick up my medications, grocery shop, speak for me on the phone and keep me (physically, if necessary) from having a meltdown, which happens when trigger sounds overwhelm my brain's capacity to function.
I have PMDD, which is extreme PMS. I am currently going through the symptoms of paranoia and hypersensitive emotions. I am even worse at communicating and handling stressful situations.
I live with my sister in the Midwestern US. Now that forty is on my horizon, I pray, cry and wonder about what my fate will be should I outlive my sister, who is twelve years older than I.
Autism is a neurological disorder. There is no way around this. I think autistic people are so afraid of using the "d" word because of how allistic (non-autistic) people treat them.
I see their behavior as a reflection on them, not the autistic individual.
As a recipient of some allistic people's wrath, I am trying to be one of hopefully many voices of the spectrum who are able to compassionately educate both allistic and autistic (it is a broad spectrum after all) alike.

Popular posts from this blog

modern day compliments from ian

Lonely vs. being alone

I call this "Dancing with herselves" Being lonely is different from being alone. Being alone, for me, is when I have had enough sensory input from a person and/or environment. It is a choice. Being lonely is something I have little choice over. Due to the severe limitations of my autism spectrum disorder, I don’t have the simple luxury of calling up a friend to see if they are free for coffee or a walk in the park.  My only friend lives 45 minutes away and due to age, can’t drive long distances on a constant basis. I cannot drive. What support and socialization that does exist is for disabled people who can go anywhere and be exposed to everything as long as it is ADA compliant. I am alone in my home without human contact 6 days a week for 90% of my day. My sister does her best, but she, like my aunt, has a life that includes shared experiences with other people. Mine doesn’t. Nobody else in my family or community is interested in relating to me. I notice ...

A heavenly perspective

Reaching toward heaven I was trying to get a different perspective taking nature shots. I had looked up to see this mass of white clouds hovering above bare tree branches. The branches looked like arms and fingers reaching up toward heaven. The clouds reminded me of something like  Exodus 13:21    where God's presence was with the Israelite s, guiding them. God takes care of all those who put their trust in His Son, Jesus. I have trusted Him in seeing me through my mom's death, an arrest, transitioning from one treatment facility to another and more recently, some neighbors treating Saturday nights as their own personal 4th of July. I still feel pain. I am tempted to doubt and catch myself self loathing. I keep praying .  I know nothing lasts forever. I look forward to eternity with God and my Christian loved ones who are there already. I hope you will come to know Jesus and accept Him as both your Lord as well as your Savior. Amen! ...