Skip to main content

I Was Born Autisitc (and most likely with OCD and anxiety, too)

Picture: Lundholm organ-Pixabay

At six months of fetal development, my mom noticed that I would violently kick in the womb when she played certain songs on the organ. My dad watched me leaping around in her stomach. 
It was a disturbing and confusing moment for both of them. They hadn't seen anything like this before.
Autism is a neurodevelopmental disorder whose traits show up often before 2 years of age.
I was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome for the first time in 1998. I was diagnosed with AS, mainly because I spoke early and scored 110 on my IQ test.
It is interesting to note that I didn't walk unassisted until 18 months old, was only interested in the shadows the low, incandescent chandiler lights made on the living room ceiling at 3 weeks of age instead of my parents or screamed, sometimes for up to a half an hour after the wind blew a door shut on the opposite end of the house.
I had intrusive, upsetting thoughts of harming myself or others going back to as early as five years of age. I recently learned this is part of OCD. I was not raised in an abusive home environment. I wasn't abused until I turned 11 and entered junior high.
I clenched my fists and tightened my muscles, rocked and cried each time my fingernails were cut. 
My parents didn't have a support group back in the 1980's. They had each other. They were my earliest advocates, my only ones, really.
Though I am verbal and my IQ is average, I still have high support needs. I need someone to drive me, pick up my medications, grocery shop, speak for me on the phone and keep me (physically, if necessary) from having a meltdown, which happens when trigger sounds overwhelm my brain's capacity to function.
I have PMDD, which is extreme PMS. I am currently going through the symptoms of paranoia and hypersensitive emotions. I am even worse at communicating and handling stressful situations.
I live with my sister in the Midwestern US. Now that forty is on my horizon, I pray, cry and wonder about what my fate will be should I outlive my sister, who is twelve years older than I.
Autism is a neurological disorder. There is no way around this. I think autistic people are so afraid of using the "d" word because of how allistic (non-autistic) people treat them.
I see their behavior as a reflection on them, not the autistic individual.
As a recipient of some allistic people's wrath, I am trying to be one of hopefully many voices of the spectrum who are able to compassionately educate both allistic and autistic (it is a broad spectrum after all) alike.

Popular posts from this blog

I wasn’t meant to be a primary caregiver

As I have mentioned in posts over the last 2 years, my mom passed away 2.5 years ago. Caring for her in her final months was difficult, but doing it as an autistic person 5 days in a row the first couple weeks was impossible. She was in the end stages of pulmonary fibrosis. She weighed 70 pounds and was gradually withdrawing from eating and drinking. She had reached the point where she was scared to be alone. For. A. Single. Instant. I tried to tell my family that this much intensive care for 5 days straight was too much. I couldn't process it. There was no fresh supply of spoons and I was on auxiliary power. I have recently become acquainted with the Spoon Theory. Here is Wikipedia's definition: of the s poon theory: "The   spoon theory   is a disability metaphor used to explain the   reduced amount of energy   available for activities of daily living and productive tasks that may result from disability or chronic illness." Maybe they thought because

My autistic brain

Profile of a face with a rainbow colored brain. Personal autism attributes in various colors font. Since I am a visually oriented thinker, pictures come before words. Words flow easier if I can create an image or images first. Here is one case in point. I am very grateful for PixTeller.com for providing the royalty free images and designing capability.

The migraine, one of my co-morbids and how it affects me.

I didn't know that the vile migraine had an awareness ribbon and month (June). They are not simply headaches. They alter mood, create nausea and vomiting, make darkness and silence a must, cancel plans and are chronic.   My migraines were few and further between as a child (I got about 2-3 a year and had to go to bed, vomiting periodically), but increased in my teens along with autistic regression. I inherited mine from my mother. It is always the same eye. I don't get the the visual aura but I do have the olfactory (smell) phantosmia . Mine are blessedly fewer than 14 per month. My heart goes out to those of you who experience more than 14 a month. Love and support are so very important. My parents were very understanding. My mom had to hold me while I cried sitting on the bathroom floor, head pounding and vomiting into the toilet to the point it had to be flushed at least twice. I can expect them during right before and during my menstrual cycle. Sensory overload and