Skip to main content

Ultraviolet autistica

The light spectrum ranging from Ultraviolet (invisible to the naked eye) to visible to Infared (also invisible to the naked eye).  Google Image Search




I'm going to go out on a limb here.
This "What's your superpower?" question has become quite popular.
"What superpower do you wish you had?"
One response by some autistic adults has been "Autism is my superpower."
I cringe, because I, being autistic, see my autism as anything but.
I am disgusted by how there is little tolerance for a middle ground or common sense these days.
I suppose if you went to college, are gainfully employed, don't have SPD so severe you can't go out into public without help, are married and even have kids, you will view your autism through mostly rose colored glasses. I say mostly, because I DON'T want to undermine the fact you do struggle to do what non-autistic people do with less or no effort each day.
If you drive, own a home, have friends, love dogs and are connected to your community-online and IRL, I am guessing that you will view autism as a processing error, "A Mac in a PC world".
It's people like me, the ones whose autism trips them up at every turn and decides every decision and limits their life, who get removed from the narritive.
We don't make phone calls, attend autism conferences or belong to support groups.
Someone is caring for us financially, emotionally and in some cases, physically.
We aren't disabled in such a way as to be institutionalized, but there is no way we could live on our own. There are too many "what-ifs" to consider.
Our families are terrified about what will happen to us when they are gone. My parents ARE gone.
I see those more physically and intellectually impaired thrive in business, knowing that there is a family member who has the skills to help their adult child begin a business.
I remark how happy I am for them, meaning it.
I feel bad for those who are worse off, such as the kids and adults being shocked into compliance at the Judge Rotenberg Center. I e-mail and sign online petitions- those of us who can't use the phone. I pray. I let them know they aren't forgotten.
When I speak to other autistic adults about my life, I'm surprised how I have to educate even them.
Autism is described as a spectrum.
On the light spectrum, there are six visible colors: red, orange, yellow, green, blue and violet (purple). Indigo is a shade between blue and violet that is held in debate as to whether it is a stand alone color. Gracias, Wikipedia!
Then there is that of which is naked to the eye. Ultraviolet rays, infrared rays, X-rays and microwaves.
Well, I'm somewhere on that spectrum. I'm invisible until I cause a burn.
That burn can manifest in the form of a meltdown or a blog post.
Autism is a DISORDER. You are only deluding yourself and  denying other autistics their experience if you deny that autism is disabling to some degree, for anyone with it, or they wouldn't even be diagnosed.
For those who can't even afford a diagnosis and are desperately seeking one, for those needing autism related services and therapies, why should insurance cover something some genetically privileged people call a superpower, gift, identity *SOLELY*?
Obviously, having autism myself, I know about the positives, though they stand in the minority. I can bathe myself, clothe myself. I am credited with seeing the world from a unique perspective, for not being "run of the mill", as my dad put it. For the latter I am especially pleased-and troubled.
I don't have a "tribe". I don't have "a people".
As long as the neurodiverse populace keeps suppressing my reality and that of others, our narritives will remain overshadowed.

Popular posts from this blog

My autistic brain

Profile of a face with a rainbow colored brain. Personal autism attributes in various colors font. Since I am a visually oriented thinker, pictures come before words. Words flow easier if I can create an image or images first. Here is one case in point. I am very grateful for PixTeller.com for providing the royalty free images and designing capability.

I wasn’t meant to be a primary caregiver

As I have mentioned in posts over the last 2 years, my mom passed away 2.5 years ago. Caring for her in her final months was difficult, but doing it as an autistic person 5 days in a row the first couple weeks was impossible. She was in the end stages of pulmonary fibrosis. She weighed 70 pounds and was gradually withdrawing from eating and drinking. She had reached the point where she was scared to be alone. For. A. Single. Instant. I tried to tell my family that this much intensive care for 5 days straight was too much. I couldn't process it. There was no fresh supply of spoons and I was on auxiliary power. I have recently become acquainted with the Spoon Theory. Here is Wikipedia's definition: of the s poon theory: "The   spoon theory   is a disability metaphor used to explain the   reduced amount of energy   available for activities of daily living and productive tasks that may result from disability or chronic illness." Maybe they thought because

The migraine, one of my co-morbids and how it affects me.

I didn't know that the vile migraine had an awareness ribbon and month (June). They are not simply headaches. They alter mood, create nausea and vomiting, make darkness and silence a must, cancel plans and are chronic.   My migraines were few and further between as a child (I got about 2-3 a year and had to go to bed, vomiting periodically), but increased in my teens along with autistic regression. I inherited mine from my mother. It is always the same eye. I don't get the the visual aura but I do have the olfactory (smell) phantosmia . Mine are blessedly fewer than 14 per month. My heart goes out to those of you who experience more than 14 a month. Love and support are so very important. My parents were very understanding. My mom had to hold me while I cried sitting on the bathroom floor, head pounding and vomiting into the toilet to the point it had to be flushed at least twice. I can expect them during right before and during my menstrual cycle. Sensory overload and